Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Water Rocket

What are rocket's fins for?
How important is it for a rocket to be aerodynamic?
Does it matter how light it is?
Does it matter how the weight is distributed?
What is the definition of a rocket
How much energy do rockets need?
What is a suitable rocket fuel?
Where are real rockets launched?
What is the best fin shape?
How far are water rockets supposed to go?
How does the egg survive?
What is the point of the egg?
Where can I simulate water rocket launched?
What is a suitable amount of fins for a rocket
Where is the best place for fins?
Could a water rocket explode?
How would other liquid/air combinations work?
How many PSI can the 2 liter bottle take?
What is the best launch angle?
How could one hit the boat?

Materials:
Two, 2-liter bottles
One small brick of foam
Carboard
Tape



The physics of a rocket. The weight of the rocket keeps one end in the correct position and the fins create air resistance so the rocket cannot go anywhere but straight ahead. Without weight of fins the rocket will not go straight. As air pushes the water out of the tank the rocket pushes the water out and the water pushes back onto the rocket creating thrust.

The method I used to protect my egg was a piece of old foam from a couch. I cut it to fit inside my nose cone and cut a little circle out to perfectly fit my egg. The idea of this concept was to keep the egg safe by making the impact safer. The foam slowed the impact of the egg by extending the contact time of the egg.






Results: My rocket launched a total of 15 whole meters. My egg did not break. My launch angle was 43 degrees and the amount of water I used was 670ml. I looked at previous launched and decided from those what a good water measurement was. I figured my rocket didn't launch successfully because it was to light.

During this lab I learned something I already knew. It's not a good idea to procrastinate. If I had done one or both of the practice launches I could have fixed the flaws of my rocket but still gotten the same amount of points.

No comments:

Post a Comment